The Liverpool winger appeared at the city's magistrates court on Friday to answer the charge against the 19-year-old model after he was arrested at 10.30pm in Page Moss, Merseyside.
A Merseyside Police spokesman said: ‘Raheem Sterling, 18, of Woolton, was charged with Section 39 common assault. Sterling was remanded in custody to appear at Liverpool Magistrates' Court today.’
Something to smile about? Sterling was back in training today at the club's Melwood base
In training: Raheem Sterling chats with Daniel Sturridge during a training session at Melwood
Alleged: The winger has been accused of assaulting his girlfriend Shana Ann Rose
Allegation: Liverpool and England winger Raheem Sterling was arrested on Thursday for assault
The hour before Sterling was arrested he took to Twitter, writing: 'This food is getting dealt with', followed by pictures of knife and fork, chicken leg and ice cream.
Sterling is due to travel with Liverpool to Dublin on Friday for Saturday's friendly against Celtic at the Arriva Stadium.
A Liverpool spokesperson said: 'Raheem has denied the charges and as the case is ongoing, we will not be making any further comment at this time.'
The Criminal Justice Act 1988 explains the charge, a section 39, could lead to imprisonment should Sterling be found guilty.
It reads: 'Common assault and battery shall be summary offences and a person guilty of either of them shall be liable to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both.'
The alleged victim, who works as a sales assistant at clothing label Hollister, won Miss United Kingdom earlier this year before competing for the world title in March.
Couple: Sterling is accused of assaulting Shana
Ann Rose, a model and beauty pageant competitor. The couple went on
holiday together this summer (below)
The winger, who lives in the leafy Liverpool suburb of Woolton, has been dating the beauty pageant finalist for nearly three years since he joined the club in 2010.
Speaking last month about the challenges he has faced, the 18-year-old, who was born in Jamaica and raised in London, said he was ready to put the dip behind him and push on.
'I didn’t think so at the time, but the break I had probably did me good,' he told the Liverpool Echo. 'You want to play as many games as you can but mentally as well as physically I probably needed a rest.
'At the time there were a few things going on off the field. That time I spent out means I’m raring to go for the new season.
'Now it’s up to me. I need to kick-on and prove I really did deserve those call-ups; that it wasn’t just a fluke. I have a lot to prove this season.'